15 August 1994

Collaborative Book Project


This month I had a book project for Cobblestone Publishing, a client that I'd been doing magazine work for over the previous 2 years. This was a collection of Native American myths, legends and stories, and I was one of three 'scratchboard' artists assigned to different sections of the book. My illustrations take up the middle third of the volume and constituted about 25-30 illustrations. This book is still available on Amazon (link here) and was the winner of the 1995 Book Builder's of Boston Award for Excellence in Graphic Arts.

A few of the originals still survive (the frog, the wolf, the buffalo stampede), and others were scanned from a copy of the book in my collection. If I remember correctly, the image of the 'globe' below was reused by the client for xmas cards later in the year.