15 September 1992

Anatomy, Foot Fungus and a Rash of New Clients


This 'mechanical anatomy' illustration was another for Strang Publications in Florida. I used this one many years later in a calendar brochure, and inspired another client to do a variation on this illustration for their own publication. (see February '98)

A couple of new clients popped up in June and July of '92, however I have very little memory of the projects involved. One of them was for Times Mirror Magazines (some illustrations about skiing?), and another was a fossil illustration for the Lapidary Journal. In August I had another assignment for Governing which I do remember quite vividly. It was a full page cartoon assignment about 'innovation' where I had a series of cavemen trying to design alternatives to 'the wheel'. I remember it being quite cute, and I'm sorry to say that the artwork hasn't survived.

In September I got my first assignments from a company called North American Publishing, who would keep me fairly busy over the next couple years. I don't remember much about the jobs, however, and I'm not sure if the artwork was ever returned.

Another new client this month was the Metropolitan Opera Guild in New York who gave me a smattering of illustration assignments during the coming months before disappearing again. (I don't remember much about these either). Also heard from Institutional Investor magazine for the first time in September, another client who would give me repeat business for a short while before dropping out of sight. Corporate Detroit and Michigan Living also called for the first time around this period. Could be that the postcards I was sending out a couple months earlier were getting a few bites.


Also this month, I had a series of small spots on 'athlete's foot' for The Worldwide Church of God. (I love the book titles in the 'library' spot - 'Toe Tales' and 'Fungus and You' -- I don't remember, did I come up with those, or were they handed to me by the client?)